BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Development Journal

The strongest experience I have had was realizing that I was not crazy in thinking that some students just learn things differently. Being this is my first year teaching full time I am learning more and more everyday. When I was a clinical instructor I noticed how some students flourished clinically but could not recite textbook information well, while other students were not advanced clinically but could tell you every word in the book. Now that I teach everyday this is very obvious. Not everyone is the same and I think it is a little strange to figure everyone would learn the same. It is just like how people eat, some people mix all their food and some eat one thing at a time neither is wrong but they just do it differently and I am glad I can facilitate my class better.

I believe I can improve my learning by cutting out things that do not work. Now that I know I am an auditory learner it might be beneficial to ask someone to explain it if I do not understand a topic rather than try it out visually, which I have done, and have it not work. I think the more I know about myself the better I will be in learning and in life in general.

One thing I have learned is there is always more to learn and challenge you with. Most importantly things are not always what they seem. For instance I have found myself telling my x ray instructor time and time again that I never knew how hard her job was. I guess I just took it for granted how much she knew and how much she cared about us but now being in her shoes I see how hard it is to really do that. It was surprising to me how much it meant to me when she told me she was proud of me, and hopefully I affect a student the same way someday.

0 comments: